Do you Know about?

Texting While Walking Lands Teen in Trouble

When a Staten Island, N.Y., teen who was texting fell into a manhole while strolling with a friend last week.

Alexa Longueira was about to send a text message when she suddenly slipped under the sidewalk.

"She literally just handed me the phone and I opened it [and] I felt this big drop," the 15-year-old told the Staten Island Advance.

"It was four or five feet, it was very painful. I kind of crawled out and the DEP guys came running and helped me," she said. "They were just, like, 'I'm sorry! I'm sorry!'"


The six-foot landing, which left her with cuts, scrapes and bruises along her spine and ribs was softened by raw sewage.

The Department of Environmental Protection said its workers briefly left the manhole unattended to fetch cones and was quite conciliatory.

"DEP is conducting a full investigation of what happened during a manhole incident on Victory Boulevard," said DEP spokeswoman Mercedes Padilla. "We regret that this happened and wish the young woman a speedy recovery."

But Longueira's family is displeased and, according to the Staten Island Advance, is considering a lawsuit.

Texting aside, Alexa's mother Kim Longueira said workers never should have left the manhole uncovered and unattended. Although it could have been worse, she said it was still disgusting.

Src & Text: [ABC News]

No comments: