Bholaram Das who is one of the Indian Freedom Fighter had marked his 100th birthday this weekend, show age is no limit to study.
Bholaram Das follow the ideology of Gandhi Ji.Bholaram Das has enrolled in a PhD program at Gauhati University in Assam making him the oldest university student in India.
"In my 100 years, I have done many things in the sphere of society, politics, governance and religion," said Das, dressed in a suit, tie and white Gandhi cap at his birthday celebration.
"I thought I must work towards a PhD that could satisfy my hunger for learning."
Highlights of his struggle for India's Freedom:
- Das was 19 when he was jailed for participating in a 1930 protest against British rule.
- In 1945, he joined the Congress Party that led India's drive for independence, achieved in 1947.
Highlights from his life:
- During his jailed term when he was 19, He spent two months doing hard labor and went on to study commerce and law.
- Das worked as a teacher, a lawyer, a magistrate and a district court judge .
Bholaram Das with his wife Mandakini, he had five sons and a daughter. Now has 10 grandchildren and a great-grandchild.
- "It is indeed rare to find a student who is 100 year old," said the university's vice chancellor, O. K. Medhi.
- "We are thrilled because Das can be an inspiration for the youth with his formidable spirit and dedication to public service."
- AP Inputs